Friday, May 7, 2010

sinful convenience

I have finally stopped. FINALLY. I have been up and running since 8am. And those of you who don't know me, that's about 4 hours earlier than normal. And those of you who read last night's blog can see how little sleep I got. Man I coulda used a nap today.

Been running errands like crazy.

Food was all bad all day. I can see now why people across America are gaining weight. Convenience foods are what's killing us. If you have a job, kids, and other commitments there is no time to grocery shop and cook good, healthy at home meals. What's quick and easy? Drive thru. And there are SOME healthy alternatives mind you. But they are foods that are still designed to be sitting at a table to eat. Altho, if someone can drive, smoke, text, and apply make up I don't see why eating a salad behind the wheel could present a challenge.

It's a totally bad habit to eat and run. The reason we're gaining weight is that we've moved away from "meal time" which at one point was almost ceremonial. Set the table, say grace, eat with manners and catch up with the family. No, we just cant stop. Things to do, people to see. Still gotta eat, grab n gag drive thru, eat in the car.

The calories alone are mind boggling. Add in the sugars, cholesterol, fat... too many of those grab n gags are gonna lead to grab and drop dead. And you may think that it's not an all the time thing, or even a once a day thing. Fast food isn't the only culprit. What about vending machines? Gas stations? Mini marts? The bottom line is that if you don't make it yourself, you're getting the worst version of whatever it is.

Today had shown me, really... how I got fat, how I got sick, and why. I tried to squeeze WEEKS worth of errands into one day, because this is the 1st day I have had the car and money and free time, all at the same time. I wont bore you with details. But I got a lot done, to the detriment of my diet.

+239 (it's stayed... we'll see tomorrow tho)

B- Mcd's yep... my weakness for Mcd's breakfast took hold, but I was pretty good, sugar wise (fat is another story)... sausage mc muffin NO egg (their eggs are gross).

Workout- same ol same ol, 20 elip. added another set to crunch machine (5 reps of 15@ 40lbs), added 2 sets on a machine that hits my back and shoulder muscles (2 reps of 15 @ 20lbs), 12 on the rowing machine and 20 on the stationary bike with a res. of 5.

L- back again, had to bribe the baby to leave daycare (where she was for my workout) with french fries. 10 piece chicken nuggets are within my dietary limits, but I was STARVING, so I ate a reg. fry too... good thing too, about 10 mins after I ate I remembered to take my sugar... I was 45, tanked after the workout, so those fries ended up being guiltless.

D- bleh, pizza hut, 10 mild buffalo wings (probably okay, but I didn't ask to see the dietary stats on it, I was hungry and they had no salad bar no sandwiches avail. and they were the last place open that had no drive thru) and 2 pizza roll up thingies. I shoulda stopped at one probably.

All in all, for what it was, I am not totally ashamed. But still, not so good.

I get a day off tomorrow, I get to cook!!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes convenience is scary. Les grabbed a pack of muffins at the store and thought they wouldn't be so bad for breakfast. Got them home and saw the nutrition info- 420 calories, 14 grams of fat and almost no fiber!!! For those of us on weight watchers, 10 points. Not worth it at all. Sneaky, that stuff is. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about our little friend mr crock pot. Even when we're busy we can toss in random ingredients and end up with a much healthier alternative than the crap we get out to eat. BUT I don't eat healthy so I can't talk. We'll be checking out the sneaky chef book this week. We also make a menu and a very detailed groccery shopping list seperated by category for simple shoppng...with 3 kids ahhhh!!

    ReplyDelete