Saturday, May 29, 2010

quantity or quality?

Today is a day many people get together and barbecue, tomorrow too, memorial day weekend seems to be the day to fire up the grill and bring over some buddies and just enjoy a warm day in the sun, eating.

It got me thinking about one thing my nutritionist liked to gripe about, serving size. And I have to say I agree with her, BUT I must amend things before I say she's right.

Yes our serving sizes are out of control, case in point, I ordered a regular drink, and got a large (I thought I was just lucky, got more than I payed for), about 3 days later I went back to the same place, ordered a small drink for my daughter, and she got a medium cup, I asked to be sure if it was right, it was. OMG to see the happy 2 yr old with the giant cup. Our burgers are 3 times the size they should be, side dishes are ridiculous, 3-4 servings per plate.

HOWEVER, no one is forcing you to eat it all... no gun to your head "Eat it or I will shoot you". That is all well under your self-control, and the only one failing you is you.

My amendment... It's not just that we're getting MORE, but more of what's not good. Back to the weekend bbq.... we were invited to one, and I sidestepped it for this very reason (that and one other, they were all smokers and drinkers and we're not). Most of these backyard bbq's assume everyone is just as healthy as they are, so for starters, no diet drinks or unsweetened tea (not down south), just water.

Now what do you eat at a bbq? Hot dogs? Ribs? Hamburgers? Sausage? Whatever the meat(s) of choice are, totally irrelevant. Side dishes; potato salad (50% fat mayo, and carbie potatoes), corn (carbs), bread (carbs), macaroni salad (carbs and mayo again), fruit (sugar), and there might MIGHT be a salad, MAYBE even a veggie tray. So a hot dog and some carrot sticks, woo hoo, wash that down with some water, and that's a killer bbq! Hold me back!

Firstly, why is every American holiday and excuse to eat? Easter "get together and eat copious amounts of ham", memorial and labor days "get together and bbq", Halloween "eat candy", thanksgiving "get together and eat copious amounts of turkey", Christmas "eat Christmas dinner all day starting at 3 pm, just like thanksgiving", new years "get together and drink copiously", okay I guess new year's is an exception. Aside from that, why is it always double, triple and sometimes nothing but carbs and sugars???? YUCK!

My family hated that I put my foot down on thanksgiving, my husband still thinks I am a communist. Dinner is served at DINNER time, 5 ish or later. We have ONE meat, ONE carb, not stuffing AND potatoes AND bread, just ONE... and veggies are VEGGIES not carbs (no peas, beans, corn). At his house growing up there was potatoes, and stuffing, and bread, and corn, and sweet potatoes (with brown sugar and marshmallows), the meat of choice (possibly a second), lima beans, the list goes on. I can at least say for my mother that there was veggie trays to munch on all day, but even we were guilty like that.

What happened to us??

I submit that we need to change and stop blaming others. Take a look at our habits... and take a stand, it starts with us!!

Didn't weigh myself today, sorry. Been a busy day... workout tomorrow, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment