Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just 20 more pounds!

In honor of the Julie/Julia project, I have decided to try blogging my way thru my fight for health, children and type 2 diabetes.

A teensy bit about me, just so you don't feel too lost; I am 33, married to a soldier in the ARMY and a mother of a beautiful, tenacious 2 year old. For now I am a full time mom, altho I am planning a temp job here soon. I was diagnosed with PCOS during the 1st endeavour to get pregnant, which resulted in pharmacological intervention to make it happen. Over time the PCOS/insulin resistance has developed from pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes. We discovered this last year.

And for a full year it went unchecked... I know, I know bad girl. I have already been thru all the brow beating and I am on the up and up. Last January I went to the hospital with mild numbness in my fingers, turns out my sugars were near 400 (the average healthy person rides somewhere between 50-100). So I had a doc that was a little more interested in educating me, and I was a little more motivated. Not to mention that it's now time for endeavor towards pregnancy #2 (also going to need drugs on that too).

That's a long story short.

In November I was 273 pounds. In January I was less, but not by much, thanks to out of con troll diabetes. I was educated on how and what to eat, and encouraged to work out. I am now rounding 1 1/2 months of a twice weekly workout and adding a day starting next week. I now sit at 240 pounds, where I have plateaued and it's MADDENING.

Which brings me to this project. I call it just 20 more pounds because it is my mantra, the doc wants to see me at 165 (ya, I wasn't ever that little, even when I WAS little) my short term goal is 220 (like it says on my driver's licence) and maybe when I get there, I will leave the 200's, and when I get there 180 looks sexy, and that is where I would be happy to stop. Even if no one reads this, it's a way to keep myself honest, and keep me driving toward a goal. So here goes....

52/46/49 +240 pounds
Today was a regular workout of 15 min's on the elliptical, no program no resistance... got me a whole mile! 30 min's on the stationary bike, got me 5 1/2 miles (some days I can make 6, and I could have today, but at 10 mins left I opted to slow down instead of push hard). And 10 blissful mins on the rowing machine. I think I am doing it wrong, I remember the rowing machine making an impact on my midsection, and so far, no pain (not that I believe in 'no pain no gain' but...) do I do more, or keep going, it's still cardio right?

I had a dietary set back today. But there are plenty of convienent excuses... I am on my period (woman's #1 fav excuse), I was hungry after the workout, my sugars were tanking so I was REALLY f-ing hungry, and lately I have been slipping into old habits... when I am alone and in my head I keep promising myself that I will do better, but the application is hard LOL.

So Breakfast, my obligatory 2 eggs 2 brown n serve sausages... I can do better... go back to one. It's technically a 0 breakfast, since I need to watch sugars and carbs, but I am allowed 45, so I could have an insultingly small amount of a yucky boring cereal (pass, I hate milk anyway), I could have 2 dry waffles, or a small piece of fruit and a 1/2 a piece of toast (naa). If I want excitement I add a cup of lowfat yogurt to the mix, or make that scrambled egg an omelet chalked full of veggies.

Altho nutritionists want me to snack, it messes my numbers up too much so I keep it to B-L-D only.

Lunch- a leanpocket (chicken broccoli and mushroom) don't judge, it fills me up and it's under my 45.

Dinner- Church's chicken... BORDERLINE. Had a spicy chicken sandwich, and if I stopped there, I would be golden, did it happen? Nope! Add to that a LARGE jalapeno poppers... and oh god, I didn't stop there, a piece of pepperoni pizza just jumped right into my mouth. Damn I hate when that happens. This is by and far the farthest I have fallen off the path yet. I maintain that you can go out and eat crap so long as you limit the amount you take in.

Upside, I didn't want to snack between 9pm and now, oooh midnight has been an evil time for me lately, hello spoon and peanut butter (it helps that I finished it off last night tho).

SO drink more water! Sneak in some tummy workout before bed (I know I know, don't work out before you sleep, try working out when you have a toddler bouncing on you). Do better tomorrow. Do better tomorrow. DO BETTER.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you're on track. Everyone slips up once in a while BUT at least you worked out first so it maybe evened out a bit. Imagine how you'd feel about dinner had it been a non-workout night. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't call it a "dietary setback!" =) The doctors in all the reports I read everyday for my job call it "dietary indescretion." Sounds so much more polite, doesn't it? We are so much in the same boat it's scary. Same weight goal too! =)

    ReplyDelete